home about contact blogs i love featured linky parties

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Tutrial: How To Make Fabric Flowers

I have seen these tutorials for fabric flowers all over Blogland and have marked them as a "to make" item for what seems like forever now!

This weekend I finally gave it a go!

SO EASY!

Of course I took pics along the way to share with you in case you haven't seen this before!

Materials:
Fabric
Needle and thread
Button center
Scissors

First, take fabric and cut it into squares. I made mine 3 in x 3 in

** You want to IRON your squares... I was being super duper lazy did not and regretted it once it was done! So save yourself the regret- IRON!**




{I forgot to take a picture of the first square being added on... but it is the same for all of them}

You take your square and fold it in half

And then just use a long gather stitch and stitch all along the 2 edges {I would maybe make the stitches a little closer together than I did...}







And then you pull lightly on the stitch to gather your fabric





Pull it all the way and you have a petal!



 

Repeat the same process for all of your petals.   I made mine with 5 petals, but I am sure you could play around with it!




And then you add your button center {I hot glued mine in there but I am sure you can sew it. I am more of a glue girl than a sewing girl though! *wink}



I added a felt circle to the back {forgot to get a picture} and then attached it to an alligator clip. 


Now it can be clipped directly into your hair, or onto a headband!





You could even add a pin to the back instead and clip it to a belt, a purse... the options are endless!








LOVE it!


 I also plan on making one with each petal a different fabric, I think that would be cute as well!


26 comments:

  1. So pretty. I will have to try this. Thanks for sharing. Found you on Lil Luna.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job!! I have seen these everywhere too and have wondered how to make them. Thanks so much for sharing. I can't wait to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay - you have comments! Itried to leave on eearlier but it wasn't working. ?? Cute blog - nice to meet you! Congrats on the spotlight and have a great week! Going to look for more fun stuff...!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for the tutorial. That turned out super cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. http://thoughtsfromtiffani.blogspot.com/2011/05/so-what-wednesday_25.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry, my computer is being difficult. Here is my orginal comment that was deleted somehow:

    Following from the Welcome Wednesday Blog Hop! I love the fabric flower, it makes me wish I knew how to sew! I hope you will check me out over at my blog, Thoughts from Tiffani!

    Tiffani
    thoughtsfromtiffani.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've made a few different kinds of fabric flowers and I love them! I can't wait to try this!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your flower!! I'm going to have to try making one. I love the texture. And the button center is darling.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello there, new follower here.
    I hope that you'll stop by and follow me back when
    you get a chance.
    Can't wait to try these fabric flowers. Thanks.

    Enjoy your day.
    ~Steph
    http://fortheluvofsanity.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi im a new follower from the uk
    found you via blog hop
    Love your blog great read
    please visit me anytime
    www.jollyjillys.blogspot.com

    ps love these little flowers going to grab your button for my blog

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cute idea! Hi! I found you through the Wednesday hop. Please come visit and follow me back at http://mommychosis.blogspot.com

    Happy Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love these! Great idea! I am a new follower and would love for you to stop by :)

    http://memoirs-of-2-wicked-chefs.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very cute! And easy too - I like that :)

    Following from Welcome Wednesday. Congrats on being featured!

    ~Jodi
    www.magicalmouseschoolhouse.com, where Disney IS school

    P.S. Today is GIVEAWAY Wednesday! Stop by & test your Disney knowledge!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is SO CUTE! Can't wait to make one for my daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those are really cute and would make an awesome little headband for my new niece!

    Jamie @ www.mamamommymom.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the tutorial! I am going to try to make one! New follower from the Welcome Wednesday Blog Hop! http://www.smileyboyknowsbest.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Super idea.I am also not much of a sewing girl more of paper,glue and scissors but your instructions are so well written I feel like giving this a try
    Cheers from Bangalore ,India
    Dr Sonia S V
    ENT Surgeon and Avid Crafter
    http://cardsandschoolprojects.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Simple and pretty! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love all the pleats in the petals, it turned out so cute! Great tutorial too. I'd love for you to come link up any projects you have at DIY Thrifty Thursday @ www.thrifty101.blogspot.com
    ~Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have the perfect fabric and buttons to do this today! Thanks for sharing such a clear and easy to follow tutorial! I can't wait to try it for myself!

    ReplyDelete
  21. That is a beautiful flower. Thank you so much for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oooh this looks like fun! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  23. u made it look easy peasy ;) will try make one, one day!

    ReplyDelete
  24. this is so cute! I love this! I am your newest follower and would love it if you would check out my blog and follow me too! Thanks!
    -Nikki
    http://chef-n-training.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love to hear from you! :) (seriously, I do! It makes me so happy when I get a comment!)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...